Effective June 14, 2022, the City of Hughson has restricted water use per the State Water Resources Control Board Emergency Conservation Regulations, necessary for the immediate protection of health and safety, and for compliance with state law.
To prevent the unreasonable use of water and to promote water conservation, the use of water is prohibited as identified for the following actions:
- The application of potable water to outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes more than incidental runoff such that water flows onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots, or structures;
- The use of a hose that dispenses water to wash a motor vehicle, except where the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle or device attached to it that causes it to cease dispensing water immediately when not in use;
- The use of potable water for washing sidewalks, driveways, buildings, structures, patios, parking lots, or other hard-surfaced areas, except in cases where health and safety are at risk;
- The use of potable water for street cleaning or construction site preparation purposes, unless no other method can be used or as needed to protect the health and safety of the public;
- The use of potable water for decorative fountains or the filling or topping-off of decorative lakes or ponds, with exceptions for those decorative fountains, lakes, or ponds that use pumps to recirculate water and only require refilling to replace evaporative losses;
- The application of water to irrigate turf and ornamental landscapes during and within 48 hours after measurable rainfall of at least one-fourth of one inch of rain. In determining whether measurable rainfall of at least fourth of one inch of rain occurred in a given area, enforcement may be based on records of the National Weather Service, the closest CIMIS station to the parcel, or any other reliable source of rainfall data available to the entity undertaking enforcement of this subdivision; and
- The use of potable water for irrigation of ornamental turf on public street medians.
To prevent the unreasonable use of water and to promote water conservation, the use of water is prohibited for the irrigation of non-functional turf at commercial, industrial, and institutional sites. The use of water is not prohibited by this section to the extent necessary to ensure the health of trees and other perennial non-turf plantings, or to the extent necessary to address an immediate health and safety need. *Exemptions are possible, but must be established through the CA State Water Resources Control Board (916) 464-3291*
“Non-functional turf” is defined as: turf that is solely ornamental and not regularly used for human recreational purposes or for civic or community events. Non-functional turf does not include sports fields and turf that is regularly used for human recreational purposes or for civic or community events.